Friday, July 28, 2006

My first lesson in Bengali

Yesterday I agreed to do a favour for a girl in work

Today I regretted agreeing!!!!

I agreed to go to South Shield Mosque (I didn't even know it existed) and get some forms filled in. Doesn't sound so difficult.

Well I found the mosque - It doesn't really look like a mosque so I'm not surpirsed that I didn't know it was there. I was armed with my forms, plenty of pens and Sarah (because she fancied a trip out of the office)

Well prayer time finished and suddenly I was surrounded my Bangladeshi men asking to fill in my form because they were doing the course. Ok I gave them a each a form.

About 10mins later the interpreter arrived saying oh not all of these people are doing the course

AAaaarrrggghghhh

We then spent the next hour inside the mosque with 4 men arguing in Bengali and occassionally speaking to me. Sarah and I just sat their while they argued and debated - at least that's what I think they were doing because my first lesson in Bengali only taught me one thing - I DON'T UNDERSTAND A WORD OF BENGALI!!!!

More lessons are obviously needed

No comments: